The Best of the Best
I have the incredible privilege of working with some of the finest people on earth...the HPC volunteers who work in the inner city. It's not just their dedication and passion; it's their complete willingness to lay down their own schedules and agendas to make room for others.
A few weeks ago Pastor Dino preached about us having others inside our others. (If that doesn't make sense to you then order the sermon and give it a listen. It's an incredible word.) Basically, the message is that whatever we have inside of us needs to be passed on and birthed in others. That's what I see our volunteers doing on a weekly basis. Despite holiday plans, family commitments and general busyness, our volunteers continually lay it all down for the others. The week before Christmas we ran outreaches back-to-back: homeless, Thrive, Midnight, Turner Plaza, all within about 30 hours. That doesn't include the prayer time, prep time, warehouse time, the planning or the meetings that go in to pulling it all off. Not to mention the Winbourne Christmas event that brought almost 1000 people to our new campus. Throughout all of that craziness, this is what I saw:
- people changing travel plans to be available
- people staying up late and getting up early to serve
- people getting their whole family involved to reach others
- people staying on outreach until the last possible moment before getting in the car to drive countless hours to see family in other states
- people loving the unlovable and hugging the unhuggable
- people representing Jesus well, even when people didn't always act right
Like I said, some of the finest people on earth. It is such an honor to serve God...and it's especially cool that I get to do it with the greatest folks and the greatest church on earth. All glory to God!