Thursday, June 04, 2009

Thought of the day

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Psalm 139:23 (NIV)


I was walking in the park the other day and I saw a group of children in the distance. They were probably in third or fourth grade and they were wearing school uniforms. They all looked similar, except for a young boy with a cast on his arm. The plaster was neon orange and stood out dramatically from everything else. I could tell, from a hundred yards away, that this boy had been hurt.

I started thinking about all the times I had been hurt; without a neon cast to show for it. So many times we are broken and wounded, and yet our closest friend isn’t able to tell.

Why is it that we insist on hiding our brokenness? Most times, with me, it’s either pride or shame. I’m afraid that no one can help or, worse yet, that no one will care. So there we sit, quietly bleeding to death, hoping and fearful that no one will notice.

God always knows about our hurts and He always wants to heal them. We don’t have to be anxious about going to Him, we can be like David and invite God to search our hearts and thoughts. The more access we give to Jesus the quicker He is able to heal us.

Question of the day:
What’s my payoff for not letting God help me?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6/04/2009 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fears are that God will not answer the prayer the way that I want it answered. If I don't ask then I "think" I stay in control. When I stay in control I feel better but then things usually get worse until they are so bad that I am broken before God. I wish I could start where I finish.

Mark

 
At 6/05/2009 9:13 AM, Blogger Donna Frank said...

The irony is that we all start broken. I believe it's that very brokeness that both keeps us from God and ultimately drives us to Him.
My false sense of being in control is seldom worth the price I pay for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home