Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Trying something new and need your feedback

Typically I use this blog to share stories about what's going on at the Dream Center or at HPC. I'm going to try something a little different but I want your feedback. Occasionally, just for grins, I'm going to toss in a post that has a 'daily devotional' flow to it. Lemmino what you think; if all four of my readers hate it then i'll shelf the idea :)
All glory to God!

Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Matthew 6:11-13


How many times have I wanted to receive my daily bread, be delivered from the evil one, but not have to forgive the people who had hurt me? I don’t believe that anything in God’s Word is random. If we want provision and deliverance, we have to recognize that forgiveness falls in the middle of the two; it’s a package deal.

A pastor once told me that the difference between bitterness and joy was our capacity to forgive. I have known bitterness. I could write volumes on how to remain bitter; how to nurture resentments, relive offences and fan the flames of hatred. Joy, however, was a different horse all together. I had seen joy from a distance, but I couldn’t say I’d ever really known it. I was too busy with my bitterness to waste time on something as fleeting as joy. That had been my attitude prior to learning about forgiveness.

I don’t believe that forgiveness is something we can come to on our own. I believe that God will meet us at the exact point we’re able to bring ourselves to, and from there He’ll do the rest. God commands us to forgive those who come against us…He wouldn’t command us to do something and then not help us. That’s simply not His character.

Whatever burden of unforgiveness you’re carrying can be laid at the foot of the cross. You don’t have to be tied to your oppressors through bitterness or anger. You can free them through forgiveness, and thereby free yourself from their power over you. Unforgiveness is a trap, but it’s not your enemy that gets entangled.

Question of the day:
Who am I allowing to stand between my provision and deliverance?

1 Comments:

At 5/27/2009 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. Can we get both options? Roll with some HPC, BRDC and Donnaizms.

Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home