Thursday, June 18, 2009

baseball bats and God

The other night I was asleep in my bed when I heard my roommate holler, "Donna, someone is trying to get in through my window!" I was on my feet and standing in the hallway about a half-second later. "What?!?" She said it again. I went back into my room, put on a sweatshirt and grabbed a baseball bat from my closet. "Grab your cell phone", I told my roommate as I headed to the door. I flicked on the light, walked down my driveway and turned the corner of the house. I wasn't really thinking; I just went into combat mode. I prayed as I walked out of the house but I wasn't sure what I was walking into. Nonetheless, I walk into the night.

On Emily's windowsill was a little black and white cat, just sitting there. I laughed.

I told Emily to come and see; and we both laughed. As we went back into the house she said, "So that's it? You just grab a baseball bat and walk straight into it?" I told her that I would rather be taken out in my driveway facing my fear than to be cowering in my house, afraid of what might be there.

I went back to my room and as I was laying in bed God whispered to my heart. He told me that is the way He wants me to write my books...to just grab a bat and go. I was convicted. I've been supposed to write this book on shame for the past 2 years. I'm a little afraid of it and, well, kind of ashamed. But, I've made a decision that I'm going to do what God says. I'm going to grab a bat (pen) and go.

I should be launching a new website, hopefully in the next few weeks. I will let you know when it happens and then I'm going to need help from all of you (and your friends, relatives, co-workers and the guy you just met on the elevator). The website will be gathering stories about shame and those stories will help shape my new book.

Please be praying that I will grab a bat and go. Be blessed, in Jesus' name.

All glory to God!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 6/18/2009 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, I just recently finished your first book. And it took me right back to spring break, reminding me of how good God is. Since spring break, God has taken me on a long journey of healing. Exposing past wounds and hurts, the ways I've been sinned against and the ways I have sinned as a response. But in the midst of that, He's been good to me, drawing me nearer to Jesus.

I'm totally looking forward to your new book! :)

~ Yoonsun

 
At 6/19/2009 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I just have to say...in my defense, there would have been no way to know this was a cat!! All I knew was that someone was taking the screen off of my window. Not like a junebug on the window or anything, but the whole thing being ripped off. Anyway, I just had to try to save face here. :)

 
At 6/19/2009 2:58 PM, Blogger marybethg said...

wow....the website is a great idea. I will definitely look out for it and contribute. Thanks for being so obedient to God! So many of us, myself included have a really hard time with shame! I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Praying for you!

 
At 6/19/2009 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am down with anonymous. She ain't scared! If someone was coming through the window, someone was coming through the window. Cats are just tools of the devil!

Just kidding, I love you both.

Ya'll just keep loving Jesus and I will follow and learn from watching you. I love anything that you write because God gave you a pen. Your roomate rocks as well.

Mark

 
At 7/07/2009 7:53 PM, Blogger Kelly Pitts said...

Hey! That is Awesome! I wish I could been there to see you with your bat! :) Thank you for walking in obedience to God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home