Saturday, September 08, 2007

two very small copper coins


In Luke 21 Jesus is watching the people putting their gifts into the temple treasury (and yes, He's still watching so don't be skimming from yo tithes and offerings!). In verse 2 He sees a widow putting in 'two very small copper coins'. Jesus tells His disciples "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on". I was thinking about this story on Friday morning.


As many of you know, we do a women's support group every Friday at the Baton Rouge Dream Center called 'Ladies Thrive'. We usually have somewhere between 25-40 women from the community come to hear a bible teaching and then have small-group discussion and prayer. Afterwards we share a meal and send them home with groceries. If I had to guess I would say probably 90% or more are living below the poverty line; many with disabilities, many elderly and all in harsh situations. That's part of what made Friday so special.


A few of the ladies got together because they wanted to bless the BRDC volunteers for giving our time every week to help them. The picture above is the gift basket they presented to me as a thank you for helping out. The moment I received the basket I thought about the widow's 'two very small copper coins'. These women did not give out of their abundance...they gave out of their poverty. I don't even want to think about what they will do without this week so that they could offer me a gift of gratitude. It's precious and so very humbling.


I know that my God noticed it...He always notices gifts given without strings. I believe sacrificial giving makes Him smile. And I believe He will pour out a blessing on these ladies that they can't contain. I hope I'm there to see it.


I love HPC. I love our pastors and I love inner-city outreach. Can you even believe that I get to do this every week?!?! Thank You Father...all glory to You!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home