Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Survival of the fittest

Yes, VBS has ended. Yes, I have survived. All glory to God!

For those who know me well, you know that my being associated with children's ministry is a display of God's sense of humor. After driving kids from North Baton Rouge to Highland and back all week, I have to say it was an adventure. I also have to say that I learned a lot from them.

Here are some quotes that were heard this week:
"What do you mean they killed Him? Who would ever want to kill Jesus?"

Volunteer: "...God made everything; the trees, water, me, you, everything."
Little girl #1: "God made me?"
Volunteer: "Yes, He made all of us."
Little girl #1 to Little girl #2: "Did He cut us out?"
Little girl #2: "No, I think He painted us."

"Please don't make me go home. Can I come home with you?" :(

The first night these kids got on the van I thought, 'This is gonna be a long week.' The truth is, it was a long week, but it was fruitful. We started with 27 kids and finished the week with 58. After the last night we had a little party for them at the Dream Center before we took them home to their apartments and houses. The kids thanked us, the parents thanked us...people we didn't even know thanked us and told us we were doing a good thing. But the coolest part of all of it is that these kids had the opportunity to experience Jesus. They found out that God is real, that He cares and that He is strong. These kids need a real, present, strong God. Some of them live in horrifying situations. Many of the kids had never been to Prairieville before, having never really been off their block. For these children, Avalanche Ranch was their summer vacation.

A big thank you to Miss Sherrie and all the crew that made this experience possible. You have forever changed the lives of these kids. On behalf of the North Baton Rouge families, thank you.

I love that Pastor Dino has a heart for the next generation. I love that HPC isn't content with just feeding the sheep, they want to increase the flock. I'm excited to see what God is going to do in our community, and I'm extremely blessed to get to watch. All glory to God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home