Thursday, July 26, 2007

Layovers, luggage and random thoughts

July 19/07

Okay, I’m traveling again. I’m currently sitting by the cool fountain at the Detroit Airport in Concourse A. The last time I was here I was delirious with fatigue and I posted a blog in a semi-conscious state. Everybody seemed to like it so here I go again.

I got on my first flight in New Orleans and we took off almost on time. I made my 25- minute connection through Memphis and was in the air again. Since the in-flight snack and beverage service has been reduced to a small cup of ice with an ounce of soda, I was grateful for the Poptarts I had purchased at a vending machine. I’m still sipping on my bottled water, wanting to savor my $3.15 purchase. (For the record, I’ve paid less for XXX sherry, but that was some time ago.) The Poptarts were a timely buy, as we spent an extra hour in the air. Apparently we had to fly around some bad weather. We were obviously successful as it’s 80 degrees and sunny here. Yep, nary a storm cloud in the sky.

There’s a bird flitting around the fountain and I wonder if it’s the same one that was here before. A moment ago it flew away from the fountain and landed directly overhead. I mean directly…that thing couldn’t have centered itself better using a slide-rule. I waited for the inevitable, but by God’s grace it flew away. Thank You, Lord.

So, I arrived in New Orleans about 10am, have been in the air twice, still have another 3-hour layover and then a 2 ½ hour car ride to Mom’s house. It’s currently 5:40pm. I love vacation!!!

I’ll try to keep you posted on the festivities. Please pray for me (safe travel, fruitful visit, etc.). Thanks, talk to you soon. All glory to God!


Layover (cont.)

It was inevitable that there would be a sequel…so here it is.

I’m now on the plane again for the final leg of my journey. I spent 4 hours in Detroit and eventually wandered up to my gate in time to hear, “Final boarding call for all passengers for Syracuse, New York”. Yep, after schlepping through the terminal for 240 minutes I almost missed my plane.

Fortunately, Detroit is a pretty massive airport. I remember having a layover one time in Wisconsin where the entire airport consisted of four gates. I believe there was a vending machine, but I’m not certain. Anyway, Detroit is so big that it has a tram. I rode back and forth on it several times during my stay…down to A10 to check out Charley’s Subs, then back across the concourse to compare prices at Quiznos by A69. I eventually settled on a $4 PB&J. I’m serious…there’s actually a restaurant that specializing in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. It was pretty good. Disturbing sign though; posted below the menu was a sign with big letters explaining that their facility uses nut and peanut products. (You know something dumb happened to force that hand.)

I made some other interesting observations on my journey too. Sitting on the plane there are 2 instructions posted on my tray table: FASTEN SEATBELT WHILE SEATED and USE BOTTOM CUSHION FOR FLOTATION. Let’s take these one at a time. In the unlikely event that this plane happens to plummet thirty thousand feet to the earth, is my seatbelt really going to make that much of a difference? Oh sure, it might tell them that the body in 6A didn’t make it, but I changed seats already. My assigned seat (6B) is currently empty. Do you think they’d send out a search party?

Next, the whole flotation issue: I would prefer that my seat bottom cushion turn into an umbrella. That way, should this giant bird head south at mind-blowing speeds, I could simply pop out my umbrella and float to safety Mary Poppins style. I think it’s far more practical, particularly since none of my flights cross over any water. There’s very little need of a floatation device when I’m landing on concrete. I guess, if he tried hard, the pilot could swing us over to Lake Michigan, but I’m really feeling the umbrella thing. Maybe it’s a personal preference.

While I was meandering around during my 4-hour break I saw a little sign that read ‘Religious Reflection Room’. I followed the arrows, went on an elevator and eventually found the place. I was the only one there and when I walked in I noticed that the wall I was looking had said North. I looked around and saw that all of the walls were labeled. I thought that was a little curious but I sat down and took out my Bible to read. After reading for a while I noticed that there were chairs around 3 walls, but none on the east wall. There was a little box of blankets in the corner that looked like prayer rugs. I don’t know enough about religions to know who does what, but I know that some people pray to their god facing east at particular times of the day. It made me very grateful that I can call on my God, anytime, in any situation, even if I don’t know what direction I’m facing. That’s the kind of God I need.

One more thought and then I’m signing off. Apparently I have officially now lived in the South for too long. I have become accustomed to the hospitality and chivalry of southern men. I had forgotten that in the north women are expected to open their own doors. At one point, while boarding an escalator, I mistakenly assumed a man was letting me go ahead of him. He was actually just jockeying for position and very nearly pushed me down the stairs when I attempted to step onto the moving staircase. That harrowing experience that made me realize, I miss southern gentlemen.


July 24/07

You’ll never guess where I am…back at the Detroit airport!

It has been several days since my last entry and I’m now headed back home. I landed safely in Syracuse Thursday night. My luggage, however, did not make the trip until Monday. I spent most of my vacation in the same pair of jeans and had to wear my mother’s pajamas. All in all though, I had a great time. I got to see my family, spend time with my nephews and really just relax. Good times, good food. (My Mom is a really good cook.)

I’m spending the next 3 ½ hours here at Concourse A so you may hear from me again. Thanks for your prayers and God bless.

Because enquiring minds want to know:
1917: that’s how many steps it takes to walk from gate A1 to gate A78 at the Detroit Airport. Educational, eh? Yep, I’m still here. Stay tuned for more fun-filled trivia…

Question: The following item(s) may be counted as carry-on luggage:
A) a small suitcase
B) a laptop computer
C) a live dog in a bag
D) all of the above

Answer:
D…as proved on my flight between Detroit and Memphis
(I kid you not. The woman in the seat beside me brought her dog. Can you even believe it?)

I’m now on my final plane. I should be landing in New Orleans within the hour where my good friend T-Dawg is picking me up. It will be good to be home. I hope my luggage is on this plane with me.

An interesting dilemma: what is the appropriate response when a disturbing odor suddenly fills the surrounding air in a confined space? (You know what I’m talking about…like on an elevator or something.) I’m minding my own business and suddenly I’m assaulted by a waft of unholy stink. I decided to simply ignore it, but it was potent. Seriously, I thought the air masks might drop down from the overhead compartment. I didn’t dare look around in case it made me look like the guilty party. The air eventually cleared, but it was touch-and-go for a while. Definitely a funk among us.

I’m pretty tired. I probably need to sign off before this goes any farther south. Thanks for traveling with me again. God bless. All glory to Him!

1 Comments:

At 7/27/2007 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your blog. Glad you had a good trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home