Friday, October 06, 2006

From Apple Sauce to Ziti

Last Friday a few of the ICU (Inner City Unit) volunteers got together at our downtown warehouse to sort groceries and pull orders. Our new building, unofficially named the Baton Rouge Dream Center, is the center of our North-side outreaches. One of the ways we plan on reaching out to the poor and hurting is by following Jesus’ example of feeding the hungry. Thanks to a great partnership with Operation Blessing International, we have the opportunity to get food into the homes of those who need it most.

Although we haven’t done a neighborhood grocery giveaway yet, we were able to supply food to some local ministries who are already reaching the people. The food pantries at the Highland campus and the Spanish campus received supplies, as well as Cooking For Christ, Randy Knighton’s ministry and an educational facility that works with inner-city boys. In less than 6 hours we distributed (among other things) over 300 cans of soup, 800 lbs of pasta, 1000 lbs of dried beans and 2160 drinking boxes of Yoo-hoo. God is great!

It’s funny how God works. I spent much of the morning packing boxes and moving pallets, without much thought as to what I was doing. I would read the list, pull the order and move on to the next thing. There were some volunteers there, steadily sorting groceries and enjoying the company of other believers. Different ministries would come to pick up their supplies; we’d load the trucks and wave goodbye. It was pretty much a no-brainer for me. And then, I went on a delivery.

We went to a facility that is a residential Christian school for boys, grades 6-12. These young men are predominantly from New Orleans’ Ninth Ward. Having lost their homes and school during Katrina, they were moved from New Orleans, to Florida and then to Baton Rouge. They live on-site and only get to see their families on weekends. Most of these boys are in this facility because they didn’t function well in the regular school system. Most of them need help in more areas than just academics.

We arrived at the school just before 1pm. The students were finishing their lunches and preparing for afternoon classes. Miss Bobbie, the woman in charge of the cafeteria, had some of the boys help us unload the truck. As I walked into the storeroom with another box, I saw two kids looking through the items and opening their book sacks. They were discussing the canned ravioli and who would get it to take home. I politely asked if they were supposed to be shopping right now. They looked at me, cold busted, and said “no ma’am”. I smiled at them and they went to get another box. It was funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

Earlier that day I had looked at cans of ravioli and they had no affect on me. Now, every time I see canned pasta I think of those boys. I think of 14 year-olds feeling the pressure of trying to provide for their families in another city. I think of families that live in such poverty that it makes sense to them to steal from those who are providing for them. I think of them and I want to take cases of ravioli to every boy, just so he doesn’t have to worry about where his next meal will come from. But I know ravioli is not the answer; Jesus Christ is the answer. My sanity comes from the knowledge that God knows the needs of everyone, and He is well able to provide.

I thank God that Pastor Dino has such a heart for the poor. In the busyness of loading pallets and packing boxes it’s easy to forget that each can of soup will touch someone’s life. The food we distributed last Friday won’t solve the world hunger issues, but it will make a difference in the lives of some. It will matter to those boys when they drink their Yoo-hoos while doing homework. It will matter to struggling families who come to one of HPC’s food pantries to help them through the month. It matters to me, that I belong to a church that gives and gives sacrificially. I have been in situations where I needed help to put food on the table, and places like HPC were there to for me. I am so grateful that God’s grace is sufficient, for all of us, all the time.

All glory to God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home