Friday, September 15, 2006

Slow start...

Okay, I realize now why I seldom journal for extended periods of time...it takes extended periods of time. I hope to get better at this whole blogging thing, but for now I thank you for your patience. Here goes entry #2:

From Aug 28-Sep 1 I was in Slidell, LA volunteering with Operation Blessing International. They are a disaster relief outreach of The 700 Club, and are still on the forefront of recovery efforts in New Orleans and surrounding parishes. Their primary focus is helping the elderly, the disabled and the uninsured to rebuild their homes and their lives. While I was there I helped gut the house of a single mom with three grown children and 5-year-old twin boys. She has Lupus, very little money, and is still recovering from the shock of her husband of 25 years being beaten to death outside of an alternative lifestyle bar. Hurricane Katrina is not the only storm in her life.

It's cool to watch God meet people where they're at. As the days passed and we made more progress on her home, I watched eyes brighten. The desperation was still there, but at least it was cut with hope. Thank You Father, that you are still King over the flood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home