Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Family... and other random thoughts

I got a call the other day asking me to pray for a police officer that had been shot. The following day I spent several hours with his wife, sitting at the hospital. I had never met them before, but a mutual friend knew that I had a flexible schedule and that I could hang in chaos. Jesus talked about 'true family' in Matt 12:49. Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

How cool is it that God can raise up a family for us in an instant? I have a great family, biologically and spiritually. I sometimes say that I was raised by orangutans, but they're still great. Much of who I am was shaped by who they are...the good, the bad and the ugly.

I'm very grateful for my families; the one I was born into and the one God has placed me in. Y'all know who you are...God bless you.

1 Comments:

At 9/06/2006 4:13 PM, Blogger danohlerking said...

interesting that i actually read that chapter just this morning and when i got to that verse, i thought (again) what an odd thing for Jesus to say - doesn't seem much like a real "family values" concept. but what you've shown here is that it is very much a "family values" deal.... just a bigger family....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home