Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Drunk People, Protestors and the Power of God

I love drunk people. Perhaps it's because I was one for so long, but that's a story for another day. I'm thinking about drunk people because I just got back from Late Night at The Varsity. It was a trip! For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, The Varsity is a bar down by Louisiana State University (Go Tigers!). A couple of times a year the college ministry (Late Night) of Healing Place Church rents out a section of the facility, closes the bar and has throw-down church. The fact that there is no alcohol served during our service doesn't prevent drunk people from other bars from wandering in to see what all the noise is about. How cool is that?

So, I'm standing in the bar tonight listening to Jason and the worship team rock the house. I was looking around and wondering how an unsaved person would fare in this atmsophere. As I was thinking that, a guy walks into the back of me. It was pretty crowded and I didn't think anything of it until he realize he's hammered. He's reeking of alcohol, sweating profusely and is having a hard time keeping his balance. He's wearing jeans and t-shirt, with another t-shirt hanging out of his back pocket.

The band tuned it down some and moved from praise to worship. The drunk guy stepped past me to an opening a few feet in front me. I could tell he was trying to focus on what Jason was singing. The Spirit of God in the place was tangible. People all around had their hands in the air in worship. I'm quietly praying for this guy as I watch God move on his heart. He lifts his hands to his head, and then stretches them toward the ceiling. He loses his balance a little a puts on hand on the shoulder of a guy in front of him, his other hand still extended upward. The song ends and he's weeping. He walks out of the room and into the lobby. He was sitting at a table wiping his face with his shirt when one of our pastors joined him. I love it that God is willing to meet us exactly where we're at.

The entire service was great. Mike Hamen preached for about 10 minutes and dozens of people got saved. It was da bomb! Great atmosphere, great energy, great crowd.

If there was a downside to tonight, it may have been the protestors who were standing across the street with their 'Sinners burn in hell' signs. It's not that I disagree with that statement, I'm just not convinced that a 6'X4' placard is the best way to get the people saved. I'm also not convinced that shouting scriptures at the top of your lungs is the best way of demonstrating the love of Christ. I guess everybody has their own idea of ministry... I thank God for HPC.

There's a part of me that would have liked to have my own sign. I'm thinking maybe a 'I should be burning in hell right now...Thank You Jesus!' sign. It's probably good I don't keep red paint and sheets of cardboard in my car.

I think all of us have a sign; it's demostrated in how we live our lives. I don't remember who said it, but I love the quote "Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary, speak."

What is your sign saying?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home