Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Double-header at HPC

Okay, I think it's safe to say that Healing Place Church is the best church in the world. (If that offends anyone please remember that you should think your church is the best ever. If you don't, come check out HPC). I went to service tonight and heard a great message on finances, then I decided to stay for Late Nite. As the band was tuning up I noticed that the worship guy looked like Johnathan Stockstill, but I figured it was just the crazy hair. Sure enough, when the band fired up it was Johnathan. For those of you who don't know, Johnathan is the worship leader at Bethany World Prayer Center. Bethany is a huge church about five minutes from HPC. Anyone who has been in church more than twice knows that 'competing churches' don't usually share very well. That's why HPC is so cool. Pastor Dino doesn't compete, and apparently, neither does Bethany. No wonder God is doing such cool stuff in Baton Rouge!

After an awesome time of worship Pastor Joel Stockstill (Johnathan's brother) gets up an does an incredible teaching on John 21:15-19. I can't do the sermon justice by writing about it so you'll have to take my word on it.

What it comes down to it this: do I love Jesus (agape - the highest form of sacrificial love) or do I simply love Jesus (phileo - a convenient friendship type of love)? That's what Jesus asked Peter, three times. If Jesus stood before me tonight and asked 'Do you love Me?' would I be able to answer 'I (agape) love You'?

There is nothing convenient about agape love. It's painful, threatening and uncompromising. It's continually putting others before yourself; it's always representing the love of Christ, regardless of how your flesh feels.

I would like to think that I agape love Jesus, but like Peter, the answer cannot be in my words but in my actions. Am I willing to feed His sheep, even when they're dirty and dumb and smelly? Am I willing to leave the comfort of the flock to chase down that one stubborn sheep that refuses to listen? Am I willing to put aside prestige and pride, to lay down in the dirt and hold the one that's too wounded to get up? All good questions.

I believe that I am willing to die for Jesus...the real test though, is will I live for Him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home