Thursday, December 02, 2010

Thanks and mercy

I've been thinking about my last couple of weeks and decided to make a list of things I'm thankful for. In no particular order, here are a few recent experiences:

The night before Thanksgiving I was standing in an apartment in New Orleans with a single mom and her disabled son. We had taken them a ham and prayed for them, leaving them with hugs and smiles. Less than a week later a man knocked on her door, waited for her brother to answer and then shot him dead.

I saw a young woman panhandling at the intersection. I can't be positive, but she looked like Tree (a woman we met months ago at New Beginnings who chose to return to the streets of New Orleans).

Friday night a drunk girl at church told me that she was going to smash my head into the concrete wall.

A few nights ago I sat with a group of friends giving the Gospel to a drug dealer in some one's living room.

What I'm thankful for:

- Single mom and disabled boy were not home. The murder is still a tragedy but not what it might have been. As we speak they are being relocated to another home.
- Tree is still alive. The night Preston and I drove her to New Orleans and watched her walk into the night I was afraid her pimp would kill her. Apparently, he did not.
- Sunday morning the drunk girl apologized profusely and stayed for church service. She is seeking help for her addiction.
- Drug dealer said he's going to come to New Beginnings on Friday. He wants a new life.

I am so grateful that God is so merciful towards us. Without us deserving it, earning it or even wanting it, He extends His love and grace to the unworthy.

He saved me...from most of the list above. He saved me because He loves me. He saved me because He is good...not because I am good. All glory to God.

I love my God, I love my church and I love my life.

What are you thankful for?

3 Comments:

At 12/03/2010 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What am I grateful for? YOU and your talent. I've been reading your "stuff" since the beginning. This entry broke me. Keep sharing your journey.

 
At 12/08/2010 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for God placing you in my life at SLDC. I plan to get a copy of your booki

 
At 12/12/2010 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have order several copies of your book and can't wait to get it.
Words can't express how proud of you I am. Keep letting God work through you and the world will be a better place. It only takes one to start a chain link. Love Aunt Anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home