Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Machete 1: snake 0

Last Saturday afternoon I had just gotten home when my roommate yelled at me from the back yard to come and get the dog. Emily (my roommate, not the dog) looked a little frazzled. I asked her what was going on and she told me to put the dog in the house and come to the backyard. As I was walking in the house she hollered, "Look out the window before you come out!"

Okay, I was intrigued.

Imagine my surprise when I peek through my back blinds and see my (nearly) 5' tall roommate standing in the yard, sweating and holding a bloody machete. Of course, I don't go out. She points towards the ground and I re-adjust my gaze to see a giant snake loosely coiled, its head severed just below its neck. And yes, it had a neck.

Of course, I still don't go out.

As you may recall from several posts ago, this isn't the first time my faithful friend has battled a serpant in the yard. Fortunately for me, the killing was done before I got home, thus saving me the energy and embarrassment of running, screaming like a school girl, into the house.

My friend Emily is the best friend anyone could have. She's a highly skilled snake asassin, encouraging at all times, and makes the best cupcakes in the state. Seriously, what more could you ask for?

A short time after the killing I was sitting in the kitchen while Emily was cleaning blood off the machete. A quick measurement had confirmed her suspicion that the snake was over 3 feet long. The neighbor thought it was a water moccasin but Emily's dad said it was a copperhead. The internet proved her dad correct.

Random fact: did you know that snakes eat their food whole and if you kill a snake and then cut open the fat part of it's belly you might find a whole rat? I'm not saying that we actually did that...but Em's dad is a really good sport about things :)

So, that's the update in my life. Hope you're enjoying a snake-free existance, wherever you are.

Oh, one more thing; my new book, The Shame Vault, will officially launch on Dec 7, 2010. Please be praying for favor, provision, right connections and all that stuff. If you're interested in getting a pre-release copy you can let me know. I should have my author copies within a week or so. I think the list price is $12 but I can let you know for sure when they come in. Thanks for your prayers, your support and your continued belief in what I do. All glory to God!

3 Comments:

At 11/17/2010 8:30 AM, Blogger Yoonsun said...

Hi Donna~ Always enjoying your blog. I wanna get my hands on your new book! Let me know how I can get it - you can email me at yoonsun.pyun at gmail. Hope to hear from you soon! :)

 
At 11/18/2010 7:51 AM, Blogger Donna Frank said...

So good to hear from you!!! On Dec 7th the book should be available online at amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. Prior to that you can order it at www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-61739-084-5.
Lemmino what you think :)

 
At 11/18/2010 3:55 PM, Blogger Carole Turner said...

I want one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home