Friday, April 09, 2010

Know your strengths...

Yesterday I finally cut the grass in my front yard. I'm not sure, but I think a family of lions was contemplating moving in. Something had to be done.

So, I'm in the yard, minding my business with grass flying and lawnmower humming. Then I saw it...a snake!!!

For any of you who don't know me well, I would rather lick a bug than see a snake. It's one of those unreasonable fears that defies logic; and no, it doesn't help that they're more afraid of me than I am of them. I'm not sure that's even possible.

I did the only thing I could think of...I tried to run over it with the lawnmower. When that didn't work, I did the next best thing; I started screaming like a little girl. It was not a pretty sight. I was considering climbing up on my roommates car when she came out to see what was going on. I pointed to the snake, now on the sidewalk, and continued screaming. Emily calmly took off her flip flop and bludgeoned the snake (as much as one can bludgeon with a size six flop). It slithered around a little and Emily asked me to throw her my shoe. The size 10 Saucony seemed to do the trick. She left me to guard the carcass while she went to get a bag to dispose of it. When she returned I poked it with a stick...and it moved. Then I stepped on it, several times, to ensures it's deadness. The demonic thing came back to life and tried to slither away!

Emily beat it again while I ran for my machete. (Yes, I have a machete.) After multiple wild slashes at the thing, we finally declared it dead. (Once the head was chopped off it showed very little will to live.)

Emily bravely picked up the pieces and threw them in the trash. I can't even tell you how relieved I was that she was there.

I don't think you could find two people more different than Emily and myself. We are almost polar opposites in everything. But, God brings people into our lives to help fill gaps. If there's a noise in the night, I am the first one to grab a bat and wander around the yard... Emily, not so much. However, if there's a slithering, evil, demon-inspired creature snaking around the yard, Emily is the go-to girl.

I'm very grateful for the people God has put in my life. God knows what I'm good at and what will drive me, shrieking like a child, onto the top of my best friend's Mustang. If you need prayer or a demon cast out, I'm your girl. If you have a snake in your yard, I don't even want to hear the story. We have to know our strengths.

All glory to God, and ever-lasting thanks to my fearless roommate. Be blessed, in Jesus' name.

7 Comments:

At 4/12/2010 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm.....so if you were Adam's wife (Eve) then sin would not have entered the world because you would not even have talked to the serpent or would satan have had to ask you about the fruit of the tree via cell phones from distance of several miles.....I'm just saying......hmmmmmm......

 
At 4/12/2010 4:12 PM, Blogger Donna Frank said...

If I were Eve I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have had the conversation with the serpent. However, I probably still would have found a way to get into rebellion and cast the human race into sin.
:)

 
At 4/19/2010 2:17 PM, Blogger Carole Turner said...

I have had a couple dreams where snake were involved, they ALWAYS represent the devil in the dreams...I hate snakes!!

 
At 4/19/2010 6:23 PM, Blogger Donna Frank said...

Amen sista!!!

 
At 4/22/2010 9:09 AM, Blogger jennifer maggio said...

Oh, that's funny! Very funny. You are right about how it is an unreasonable fear,illogical when you think about it---yet I hate snakes, roaches, frogs, sharks, ummmmm--think that's about it.

 
At 8/04/2010 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the same little Emily from the SLDC? :) Rock on, Em!

And rock on, Donna - just saw you're published!! Wooohoooo! Thank You, Lord, for bringing her story, YOUR story to the world!

Can I get ahold of your book in the UK? It would be a great resource for our house group.

And if you ever want to come over for some ministry Stiff-Upper-Lip style (don't ask!), then we always have a bed for you.

I think and pray about you, Emily, Carrie, Aubrey, Paul, Mark, and Terry often. It's so GOOD to see what God's been up to in your life and who He's touched through you. Keep posting on here and spread that good news!

Anna (Robinson) Livingston

 
At 8/04/2010 12:07 PM, Blogger Donna Frank said...

She is indeed the same Emily!!!
So good to hear from you Anna...hope all is well in the UK.

My first book (Straight...from Hell) is available on Amazon but my new book (The Shame Vault) won't be available until December. If Amazon won't ship it to you lemmino and we'll work something out. Luv u girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home