Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Volunteers = souls

Today we had a huge day at the Baton Rouge Dream Center. It wasn't a block party or a massive outreach; it was moving furniture. Yep, movin, haulin, sweatin and draggin. That's how we roll. Here's the coolest part...I didn't move a thing. The whole deal was carried out by volunteers and interns. I pointed a couple of times and gave a few directions, but other than that, they did it all.
We started with rooms full of excess furniture; some broken, some moldy, some circa 1950. All of it needed to be sorted and moved. We relocated some, gave some to a local charity and dragged some of it out to the dumpster. And when I say we, I mean the volunteers.
Here's the coolest thing about HPCer's...we send out an email, ask them for help, and they show up. A guy named Jeff showed up today with a pick up truck and a pair of gloves. He worked like a Hebrew slave for hours. I've never met him before today. Jillian, one of our regulars, headed up the whole thing...I didn't even ask her to, she just saw a problem and volunteered to resolve it.
I love that the DNA of Healing Place is servanthood. I love that we have the opportunity to make every day a servolution. You might not think that moving furniture will change the world, but I beg to differ. The rooms we set up will house mission teams that come in from around the nation to learn how to do inner city outreach. The furniture we donated will become affordable furnishings for a family that can't buy new items. Even some of the stuff we hauled to the curb will be picked through and taken into people's homes. Trash vs treasure; all in the eye of the beholder.
I believe that everything God entrusts us with can be converted to souls...bottled water, used couches, hygiene items, all of it. But, the only way we can make that conversion is by having the manpower to do it. Hence, volunteers = souls.
I love that Pastor Dino's heart is to reach the world by serving one. I love that we get to be the hands and feet that serve that one. I love my God! I love my church! I love my life! All glory to God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home