Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Just down the street

Saturday morning we had our door-to-door street outreach in north Baton Rouge. It was extra cool this week because we had a couple dozen kids from student ministries come and help us out. I love the enthusiasm and energy they bring, but I particularily love seeing the next generation taking the doors of the church to the street. Tyler, Crystal, Tweezz and the gang are doing an incredible job of forming this group of young people into a mighty army for God.
The team I was on went to a stretch of apartments on Prescott. A tuff hood indeed...not an easy place to spend your days. The first woman I talked to was sitting in her car with a baby in the back seat. We gave her some pretzels and applesauce and she asked us where we're from. We told her a little bit about the Dream Center and HPC. She didn't say much, just nodded a lot. I asked how I could pray for her. She told me that her sister's baby had just died. She wanted prayer for her sister, their family, just everything. As I was walking away I thought about how much God loves His kids; how He sent us to that very parking at that very moment so that we could pray for a greiving woman and her family. He is so good.
Another team member came up to me a short while later and said they had prayed for a baby with a tumor in his head. Incredible. We also got to pray for Mr. Hank; an elderly gentleman with bad knees who was sitting on his couch in an apartment that smelled worse than any I've smelled in a long time. Mr. Hank doesn't have any teeth, so we traded out the pretzels for a bag of hersey's kisses (no nuts). He thanked us for the prayer and the food, and he told us to keep safe.
There are dozens of other stories from Saturday but they all come down to one thing: Jesus came to seek that which was lost...how cool is it that He lets us help? All glory to God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home