Thursday, May 03, 2007

Solomon was right

I spoke to a woman this week who had been viciously mauled by a pit bull. She has had to undergo surgery for the 5 inch gash in her leg, and may require further surgery depending on how it heals. She told me that during the attack she was knocked down and the pain caused her to lose consciousness. She remembers, just prior to the darkness, calling on the name of Jesus. She told me that His name came out of her mouth and the dog immediately walked away.

I got the call late yesterday afternoon about Gabby. For those who didn't know her, she was a beautiful young woman who was full of life and expectation. She was tragically killed in an auto accident. She will be missed greatly by all who knew her.

In Ecclesiastes Solomon says that when he looked at all that his hands had done and all that he toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless. I think about Gabby; how hard she studied, how she stressed over her grades, job opportunities and life stuff. It might be tempting to look at the loss and consider it meaningless. But I also think about Gabby and picture her leading her group at New Beginnings; speaking life into those women, offering hope, love and encouragement. You would be hard-pressed to convince those women that any part of her life was meaningless.

Undoubtedly, the loss is staggering. One minute Gabby is driving her car and the next she's walking the streets of gold with Jesus. I'm happy for her but I'm grieved for the rest of us. I pray for her family and friends; that somehow we would be comforted in knowing that she's at peace and at home.

I agree with Solomon, that anything resulting from our own works is meaningless. But I also believe that a life of faith and service, a life like Gabby's, is precious and honored by God. I don't understand God's timing, but I am once again drawn Ecclesiastes 5:2 "...God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few."

All glory to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home